Thursday, August 1, 2013

Teacher Baskets

As we're nearing the beginning of the new school year I decided that I wanted to put together a teacher basket for B and my nephew D the Dude. B will be starting 4th grade! Can't believe it! And D will be starting kindergarten. I remember when he came to live with me... he was so little. Sweet. Shy. Now he's going into the great big world of SCHOOL!! 

D had broke his leg a few weeks back and we've been rotating babysitting duty between the grandma's and the aunts since he got his giant green cast (that ultimately received a giant red Angry Bird and lots of signatures). What can I say besides he's being raised by a tribe? :)


angry bird in action!

We're on week 3 and he's quite mobile but still slow moving and a little difficult at times. It's kind of gross... and dirty... and stinky. Poor kid! Anyway, both boys start school on Monday and meet their teacher's tonight. B found out that his teacher's name is Mrs. Blakely and D's school won't tell them until the day of meet the teacher. So weird! So his teacher basket says "teacher" ha! 

With all of that being said... Here's the finished product!

teacher baskets

Each basket includes:
1 pack of pencils
1 pack of red pens
1 cup pencil holder
1 ruler
1 bottle of hand sanitizer
1 pack of notecards
1 jar of smarties
1 apple slice/peanut butter holder
Add caption

I did most of my shopping at the Dollar Tree and Fry's. Most school supplies are on sale right now and each basket was about $15. Not too bad considering I had to buy the filling for the basket as well as baskets. The most expensive item were the apple holder. Super cute though and I couldn't pass them up as they were under $5!
red apple container to hold apple slices and peanut butter

I group the pens and pencils ($0.99 each) together and wrapped them in a piece of tape to hold together better and then tied them with a piece of ribbon. I ended up sticking a bit of brown packaging paper ($1 @ the dollar store) at the bottom of the cup to prop them up a bit higher. I used file folder labels to write "teacher" and "Blakely" in red Sharpie pen and just trimmed them down to size to wrap around the pencils. Some of my labels weren't sticking as well and I ended up needing to add a bit of tape to help it stick.
teacher's pencils


teacher's red pens


pencil cup

I found 7 count eraser packs at Fry's for less than $0.50 each so I bought 4 and put two in a pack and added a cute little tag at the top. I stapled the folded paper over the top and wrote on the back "To right all of the little wrongs."

erasers in cellophane and tagged

I found this really cute idea via Pinterest on these Smartie jars. I bought the jars ($1 @ the dollar store) and put a little bit of the filling in the bottom and added one bag of Smarties ($1 @ the dollar store). I then used my own craft paper to add the little tag. I had paper that looked like a cork board and yellow card stock that looked like Post-Its. I also had little star jewels that I glued on for the "star student". I had gift ribbons at the dollar store awhile back. I ended up just taking the staple off of it and tied pieces of it on with a piece of craft string/rope (no idea what that stuff is called!!).

SMARTIES!



I then added a bottle of hand sanitizer that I wrapped in craft paper that looked like writing paper (the kind you used to use to practice your letters in elementary! Love it!) and added a tag that said "Teacher: Takes a hand, opens a mind and touches a heart".


I also included a small pack of blank notecards with envelopes that I wrapped in string/rope and added a tag with the quote, "How beautiful a day can be when KINDNESS touches it! - George Elliston" that I had found online. I'm a firm believer in "thank yous" and really believe that even the smallest gesture of a card can fill someone's day with happiness. I love getting good mail... like notes. Or money. Or coupons. Or samples. Or magazines. 


And LASTLY, I made each teacher a card and with our contact info and asked that she contact us if ever there is a need for help. On my nephew's card I offered any volunteer work if I'm available. Like I said, he's raised by a tribe and I love these boys to pieces!

As for the Family Binder I was working on... I've been having issues printing... {sigh} so I'll attack that task this weekend. :) Happy Thursday! 





1 comment: